Fixed Term Contract Sign Language Interpreter
Listing reference: ukzn_000089
Listing status: Under Review
Apply by: 22 March 2023
Industry: Education & Training
Job category: Others: Education and Training
Contract: Fixed Term Contract
EE position: No
The Disability Support Unit invites applications from suitably qualified individuals to be appointed as Sign Language Interpreters. This is a fixed term contract on the Pietermaritzburg Campus. Queries related to this contract may be directed to Dr Ashley Subbiah @ email@example.com. Please state "Query SS03/2023" in the subject of your email.
The incumbent would be required to provide sign language services for students attending lectures. As well as, to provide support to academic staff and support staff, and basic sign language training for various departments under the guidance of the Disability Support Unit.
- A 3-year degree or equivalent post-school qualification
- Four (4) years’ education interpreting experience (Portfolio of experience to be submitted, including references)
- At least six (6) months’ experience working as a SASLI in a higher education environment
- Recognition of prior learning and community recommendations will be considered
- SASLI Level 2 or equivalent (NQF 7) qualification – from accredited Higher Education Institution
- Fluency in SA Sign Language and English
- Working knowledge of the SATI Code of Ethics for SASL interpreters.
- Be in good standing with Deaf organizations
- Be willing to undergo professional development and training during the course of the contract.